Monday, May 10, 2010

Moms

I spent Mother’s Day with my mom, Bryce’s mom, my dad’s wife, and being a mom. It made me thankful for the strong women in my life and all they have taught me about what it means to be a mom.

So far, in my experience, it has meant the following responsibilities:
Taxi service
Social networker
Athletic coordinator
Chef (or at least food preparer – I have limited skills)
Referee
Tutor
Boo-boo kisser
Clothing folder
Knock-knock joke laugher (even though they make no sense and are really not
jokes at all)
Art collector...

I try to nurture my kids, make them feel appreciated and valued, and make them feel happy and excited about their day – all without making them spoiled and indulged. It can be a fine line! I’ve taken what I’ve learned from the moms around me and I hope I’m doing the right things for my little ones.

My hope is to have my kids talk to me about anything and everything as they are growing up and be the one they turn to throughout their lives when things are tough or when things are amazing. My hope is to have a relationship like the one I share with my mom. I talk to her every day, she supports me unconditionally but isn’t afraid to tell me I’m off my nut, she’s there to help out no matter what I am doing, and she laughs at my stupid jokes. She’s my best friend and if I have half the relationship with my kids that I enjoy with her, I’ll be happy.

Carmen told me yesterday that I was her best friend. I’ll have to remind her of that when she’s 16 and I won’t let her date some 22 year old drummer. Until then, I’ll take the compliment and run.

No comments:

Post a Comment