Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Home Again

Bryce and I just got back from our first vacation together as a couple -- it only took us 13 years to get away! We went to San Francisco with a few friends and it was a great time. Now it's back to the real world of laundry, kids' schedules, and responsibilities. I will, however, take away a few things that I learned while away:

- my kids sound like helium-filled cartoon characters on the phone
- being 3 hours early for a 7:30 am flight translates to an obscenely early morning
- it may say something about me that the highlight of the trip was walking around an old jail (although I guess Alcatraz is in a class all its own)
- pro baseball games are WAY more enjoyable when you've got really good seats
- coastal weather does not agree with my hair
- the sunny, blue skies of California in the movies obviously weren't in San Fran in May. Holy crap for fog and wind!
- knowing I'm not responsible for the kids allows me to sleep like the dead (or maybe that was because of that early morning flight!)
- I'm a home-body and was ready to return after 4 days away from the monsters

It's great to go away but it's even better to come back. I don't know what those songs about leaving your heart in San Francisco were about -- mine is firmly planted in the chaos of home.

No comments:

Post a Comment