Thursday, September 2, 2010

School Time

Carmen got up early this morning. She NEVER gets up early. She was just too excited to sleep. She wanted to get to school, to take on grade two. She got dressed in her graphic T, blue pleated uniform-type skirt, and knee-high socks, brushed her hair (which she insisted I blow dry with a roller brush last night)and even cleaned her glasses. She was ready. Over breakfast she wondered who she'd be sitting with, what they'd do on the first day, if there was going to be any new kids in her class, and if they would be doing the Christmas concert or the spring one this year. She wanted to come home for lunch to tell me all about her day -- but only this once. Then she wanted to stay at school with her friends.

We gathered up her new indoor shoes, backpack, and snack bag and headed outside. Before we left I insisted on the first-day-of-school picture, which she happily mugged for. As I snapped the picture and headed toward her school, I couldn't help noticing how grown up she looks all of a sudden. How grown up she acts sometimes. She grabbed the dog's leash and raced ahead of us, Benny not far behind her. I know it won't be long before she's walking herself to school... but I'm glad it's not yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment